ER RAMLE POSTMARKS

ER RAMLE POSTMARKS

Beitragvon TALLTREES » 4. Mai 2014, 22:24

Hello. I would like to show thees pieces of mail sent by crew member "ALBERT LEHAMANN" from this flight. According to records crew member Albert Lehamann was not onboard during this flight so he sent his mail through the "LUFTPOST" desk at Friedrichshafen which handled mail going to, and comming from the Graf Zeppelin. Now although all of these three pieces of mail shown are addressed to the same person "Christian Rinker" (?) only one piece of mail (Postcard) has the " ER RAMLE " Post office arrival mark :?: , and the most interesting fact this "ER RAMLE" Post office mark is not mentioned to my knowledge in any books about this flight :?: , In the books that i have it states that " There were Four "Er Ramle" hand cancels used by the Post office at Er Ramle, the first two cancels were double circled cancels with a letter "C" ( Left & Right of centre), and the other two cancels had a "CROSS" (Left & Right of centre), but this "ER RAMLE" cancel shown on the first Postcard below has the letter "C" in the middle :?:. Can any member give an explanation for the use of this "ER RAMLE" hand cancel with the letter "C" in the middle as i have never come across this type before :?
Talltrees.

(PS) The "ER RAMLE" Hand cancels that are recorded are shown under the second Postcard below
Dateianhänge
ER RAMLE (1).jpg
ER RAMLE (1).jpg (85.07 KiB) 5100-mal betrachtet
ER RAMLE (4).jpg
ER RAMLE (4).jpg (135.42 KiB) 5100-mal betrachtet
ER RAMLE (3).jpg
ER RAMLE (3).jpg (107.34 KiB) 5100-mal betrachtet
TALLTREES

Re: ER RAMLE POSTMARKS

Beitragvon Polarfahrtsucher » 7. Mai 2014, 09:44

Hello Talltrees,

thank you for this very interesting post!

I have also a postcard from steward "Albert Lehmann" in my collection. It seems he had written quite lot those Postcards:
Sieger 23IA Albert Lehmann a_800x510.jpg
Sieger 23IA Albert Lehmann a_800x510.jpg (79.15 KiB) 5054-mal betrachtet

This card doesn´t have the "Er Ramle" cancel, also.

For more Information about the "Orientflight" please take a closer look at this very interesting book by Dieter Leder:
ScannedImage_401x600.jpg
ScannedImage_401x600.jpg (59.98 KiB) 5054-mal betrachtet

You will find also more information about the "Er Ramle" cancel inside.
Maybe he will personelly answer your questions here. :?:

I checked my collection for different "Er Ramle" cancels. And I found some differences.
It seems that the "C" in the cancel moved, so there are not only two versions of this postmark.
Take a look:
ramle 1.JPG

ramle 2.JPG

The "C" Letter ist in different possition in comparison with the "MR" (March).

Greetings
Klaus

P.S. Sorry for my poor English!
Polarfahrtsucher

Beitragvon TALLTREES » 7. Mai 2014, 15:53

Hello polarfahrtsucher. Thank you for you reply and your comments about the "ER RAMLE" Hand cancel and yet more mail from Steward "Albert Lehmann". I don't have the book by Dieter Leder (Wenn es doch Tag gewesen wäre!) but i do have the book "THE ORIENT FLIGHT LZ. 127-GRAF ZEPPELIN" by Fred f.Blau & Cyril Deighton, and in this book it does not state that there was any differences in the posistion of the letter "C" on the Er Ramle Hand stamp, maybe fresh evidence has been found concerning this as my book was published in March 1980. To continue i would like to show this Postcard from my collection which was sent by crew member and First Steward "HEINRICH KUBIS", Onboard mail, with short message " On the ..... Orient flight Graf Zeppelin ..... best regards Heinrich Kubis", this Postcard does have the "ER RAMLE" doubled circle Hand stamp with the letter "C" to the Right. Finally i have paired up the Albert Lehmann "Er Ramle" Hand stamp with the Heinrich Kubis "Er Ramle" Hand stamp to compare the differences.
Talltrees.
Dateianhänge
ER RAMLE (5).jpg
ER RAMLE (5).jpg (76.42 KiB) 5045-mal betrachtet
ER RAMLE (8).jpg
ER RAMLE (8).jpg (31.88 KiB) 5045-mal betrachtet
TALLTREES

Beitragvon pasol » 6. Nov 2015, 20:41

Dear friends,

I wondered earlier: why there were used two different date arrival stamps to cancel the correspondence from "Graf Zeppelin" in Er Ramle during Orientfahrt 26.03.1929 ?

Now my opinion, this was a consequence of known circumstances, which are well described by our colleague Alfred on another forum: 8-)
Alfred wrote:"...die deutschen (Berufs-) Philatelisten waren nicht sehr erfreut, als ihre normalerweise nach Deutschland adressierten Sammlerbelege (der größte Briefbund!) ohne Ankunftstempel zurückkamen. Der Nachweis der Luftschiffbeförderung fehlte, die Verkäuflichkeit schien zumindest erschwert. Einige von ihnen schickten daher ihre Belege unter Umschlag nochmals zurück nach Er Ramle ans dortige Postamt und baten (vermutlich unterstützt durch ein kleines Geschenk) um nachträgliche Abstempelung mit dem rückdatierten Stempel. Und damit hatten sie – zumindest teilweise – Erfolg..."

I think :?: :
The first type of date arrival stamp of Er Ramle (with two lines) is real date stamp from 26.03.1929.
But the second type of date arrival stamp of Er Ramle (with one lines) was made later: to meet the requests of dealers and collectors who did not receive it at 26.03.1929...

As evidence: all board mail from crew has the first type date stamp. 8-) Please see some of them (they are known to me) from Radio officer Willy Speck and from Ludwig Knorr (from crew members Kubis and Lehmann see above) .

What is your opinion? :roll:

Best regards,
pasol.
Dateianhänge
Er Ramle date stamps_02.jpg
Er Ramle date stamps_02.jpg (94 KiB) 3644-mal betrachtet
OrientF 1929_47m.jpg
OrientF 1929_47m.jpg (197.11 KiB) 3644-mal betrachtet
OrientF 1929_45m.jpg
OrientF 1929_45m.jpg (174.34 KiB) 3644-mal betrachtet
Zuletzt geändert von pasol am 23. Nov 2015, 05:34, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
FECI QUOD POTUI, FACIANT MELIORA POTENTES !
pasol

Beitragvon pasol » 7. Nov 2015, 06:55

Dear friends,

@TALLTREES wrote:"...Can any member give an explanation for the use of this "ER RAMLE" hand cancel with the letter "C" in the middle as i have never come across this type before..."

Now it is a question about position "C" on date stamp of Er Ramle during Orientfahrt 1929...
Really there are many positions of "C"... :shock:

I should say: a position "C" corresponds to the time of cancellation during the day as at other stamps... 8-)

What is your opinion? :roll:

Best regards,
pasol.
Dateianhänge
Er Ramle date stamps_05m.jpg
Er Ramle date stamps_05m.jpg (159.98 KiB) 3644-mal betrachtet
Er Ramle date stamps_03.jpg
Er Ramle date stamps_03.jpg (108.37 KiB) 3644-mal betrachtet
OrientF_1929_01m.jpg
OrientF_1929_01m.jpg (233.11 KiB) 3644-mal betrachtet
FECI QUOD POTUI, FACIANT MELIORA POTENTES !
pasol

Zurück zu Orientfahrt 1929