BRAZILIAN POST

BRAZILIAN POST

Beitragvon TALLTREES » 16. Jun 2009, 16:25

Hello again. I enclose a picture of another Cover from my collection which i need some more information on. Could you please let me know where it was sent from as the postmark is unclear, and any more information that you can supply, and also the correct Sieger number (284. A).
Thanks again.
TALLTREES.
Dateianhänge
BRAZILIAN MAIL.jpg
BRAZILIAN MAIL.jpg (147.17 KiB) 3736-mal betrachtet
TALLTREES

Re: BRAZILIAN POST

Beitragvon TALLTREES » 16. Jun 2009, 16:27

Hello again. I enclose a close up of the postmarks on the back of the Cover.
BRAZILIAN POSTMARKS.jpg
BRAZILIAN POSTMARKS.jpg (142.39 KiB) 3739-mal betrachtet
TALLTREES

Beitragvon TALLTREES » 16. Jun 2009, 16:39

I also enclose a picture of the postmark on the front of the cover.
BRAZILIAN 2.jpg
BRAZILIAN 2.jpg (64.63 KiB) 3738-mal betrachtet
BRAZILIAN 2.jpg
BRAZILIAN 2.jpg (64.63 KiB) 3738-mal betrachtet
TALLTREES

Beitragvon Alfred » 22. Jun 2009, 21:35

Hello TALLTREES !
Your letter was sent from Florianopolis to Recife at October 12 1932. Florianopolis is the capital city of Santa Catarina State in southern Brazil between the cities of Curitiba and Porto Alegre. The postmark in front was used by brazilian Post, the Florianopolis-stamp on the backside is the Condor-stamp - your letter was deliverd from brazilian post to the Condor-agency. From there it was sent by Condor-seaplane to Rio de Janeiro, where “Graf Zeppelin”, who was on his 8. Südamerikafahrt 1932, started the journey back home with your letter on board. On this return trip it reached Recife (Pernambuco) in the morning of October 15, where your letter was unloaded – the second stamp on the back of your cover is the postal arrival stamp of Pernambuco.
The flight-number ( = Michel-Nr.) of this leg from Rio to Recife is 284; the Sieger-number is 190. I don’t know exactly the inner-brazilian postal rates, but I’ve seen 770 Reis quite often, so I think, it’s the correct rate.
There are remarkable different valuations between Sieger and Michel: Michel’s number 284 A) c is listed with 250 Euros, Sieger’s number 190 (not 190. Eb, because the “Sonderbestätigungsstempel” is missing) is priced with 35 Euros!
Alfred
Alfred

Beitragvon Zeppelin » 23. Jun 2009, 11:50

Good analysis, Alfred!
Alfred hat geschrieben:Sieger’s number 190 (not 190. Eb, because the “Sonderbestätigungsstempel” is missing)

Is it really not Sieger 190.Eb?
Sieger 190.Eb is for mail which went on the Recife-Rio internal zeppelin flight, and this is how the cover went by zeppelin: it flew on the zeppelin from Rio to Recife. This internal Brazilian zeppelin mail normally bears the special flight cachet as illustrated in the Sieger catalogue on top of page 169. But here we have a very special cover not showing this zeppelin flight cachet for the internal Brazil flight, but showing instead the zeppelin transatlantico flight cachet which was normally used for the transatlantic zeppelin mail going to Europe. So the cover bears the incorrect flight cachet.
Michel has it´s own catalogue number for such mail bearing the incorrect flight cachet (284.Ac), but Sieger does not.
The question is, if the incorrect flight cachet was applied "by mistake" or if it happened intentionally???? You can find such mail flown on the internal Brazilian zeppelin flights with the incorrect transatlantico flight cachet on almost all 1932 and 1933 zeppelin flights (where applicable), and these covers always were dispatched by the same sender. So to me it looks like that this sender must have had some good connections that the postal service always used the incorrect flight cachet on his mail.
Herausgeber des/editor of the ZEPPELIN POST JOURNAL
A.I.E.P. Prüfer/expertiser
http://www.eZEP.de
Zeppelin

Beitragvon Alfred » 23. Jun 2009, 16:14

Thanks, Zeppelin
– so I could learn something too! :D
It’s hard to understand, why Sieger only mentiones the wrong flight-cachet at the description of the Chicagofahrt (Sieger-number 239.Da), when it occcured on several other occasions too. Michel knows, that the transatlantic flight-cachet was used by mistake at some other flights, but I miss the word “irrtümlich” at the description of TALLTREE’s cover. Some catalog-descriptions are reallly cryptic! :o
A collection of wrong flight-cachets and other postal mistakes would be interesting – don’t you think so?
Alfred

Beitragvon TALLTREES » 25. Jun 2009, 19:31

Hello again. Thanks to Alfred and Zeppelin for the information on my Cover which has some very interesting History, i would not have known this with out your expertise, so i assume this Cover is Sieger 190.Eb.
Thank you.
TALLTREES.
TALLTREES

Zurück zu Südamerikafahrten 1932